As written by Mrs. T.M. (Mary Louise Cresap) Stevenson
"Hitherto that the Lord helped us."- 1 Samuel 7, 12
Ohio became a State, November 24, 1802. So when the Presbyterian Church was organized, the State was only "sweet sixteen" and one month old. The town of Dresden was laid out by Major Jonathan Cass, a Revolutionary officer, who brought his family here, in 1801, and soon after laid out the town, which therefore, is as old as the State. Looking backward, as we should, what of our Nation is that year of our organization-1819? Our Fifth President was James Monroe, of Virginia, from 1819 to 1825. Today he is probably the most talked about of any of our former Presidents.
President Monroe and his Notable State Papers
The "Monroe Doctrine" is a Shibboleth to arouse every patriotic citizen, men and women, to enthusiasm. Our newspapers, religious and secular, or Senators and Congressmen, everybody, official and unofficial, are all discussing the Monroe Doctrine, as they believe it to be, for or against, the "League of Nations."
Nothing has so crystalized and immortalized patriotism in our land, for 1819 to 1919, as the famous Monroe Doctrine. "Friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none." and the American continents by the free independent condition which they have assumed and maintain, are henceforth not to be considered as subjects for future colonization by any European Power. France and Germany tried by sending Maximilian to Mexico; poor Maximilian and poor Carlota.
How the past and the present are linked together! 1819-1919! President Wilson has been touring the country showing what he believes to be the harmony between the Monroe Doctrine and the League of Nations."
In 1819, when the Dresden Presbyterian Church was organized, over in England, George III, the Pharoah, who oppressed our forefathers and called our Revolutinary War "A Presbyterian Rebellion" (perhaps with astuteness as Presbyterians always stood for liberty), was still living. (He died in 1820)
The times of 1819 were similar to those of 1919. an upheaval of the nations was just settling down. France and the "Man of Destiny" had been at war with England, Prussia, Germany and Russia. Bonaparte had been shorn of his power, like Germany today, and banished to St. Helens, as the Kaiser is an exile in foreign land; and on the lonely island in 1819 Bonaparte was then living, grieving, and the world was the, as it is today, drawing long breaths of peace and liberty, after this World War.
Some Events of 1819
In 1819 the very first ocean steamer crossed the Atlantic, from Savannah Ga., to Liverpool, England. In 1919 our brave aviator have crossed the same ocean in winged ships, by the "sky trail."
In 1819 transportation was by horseback, Conestoga wagons, stage coaches, and down the streams in flatboats. Today-1919- it is by autovans, carriages, or by the lightning express, sixty miles an hour, and across the continent in flying machines.
In 1819 the War of 1812 had been adjusted and a treaty of trade and commerce made with England. The "Star Spangled Banner," the anthem of the War of 1812, had been written and sung from Great Lakes to Gulf and from Ocean to Ocean. A son of Maj. and Mrs. Jonathan Cass, two of the Charter members of the Dresden Presbyterian Church, Capt. Charles L. Cass, served in the War of 1812 and was given a sword by the City of Zanesville for bravery. His great grandchildren are members today and active workers, viz., the family of Veda Howell, Mrs. Alta Stilt and Mrs. Mary Crabtree, etc.
Another son of these same Charter members of the Dresden Presbyterian Chruch, Gen. Lewis Cass, was Secretary of War, 1831 to 1836, and Secretary fo State 1857 to 1860, Governor of Michigan, and lastly, Democratic nominee for President of the United States in 1848. You see how this Dresden Presbyterian Church has been in touch with this great nation.
In this notable year of 1819, of the organization of this Dresden Presbyterian Church, another important event took place, viz., a treaty with Spain, who then ceded the whole of the province of Florida to the United States, which she had claimed since 1565. Spain also at that time-1819- settled the boundary of Mexico. It seems to us in the light of late events, the Hidaloys of Mexico don't know this and its will take stronger hand than Spain's to settle that matter.
In 1819 came the beginning of Ohio State legislation as to a canal connecting Lake Erie and the Ohio River. In 1819 the first railroad west of New York State led from Toledo, Ohio, to Adrian, Mich. In 1919 railroads touch nearly every town in Ohio; and Dresden has four.
It was a glorious epoch in which to begin a Church. Therefore, in 1819 the Dresden Presbyterian Church was organized in a log school house, about a mile below Adams Mills, where the main road comes out on the banks of the Muskingum. Since the days of your Pilgrim Fathers the Church and the School house have been closely connected.
The Ministerial Committee, sent by Presbytery that gathered with this little consecrated band of men and women in the log school house in 1819, were: Rev. James Culbertson, of Zanesville; Rev. Mr. Root of Cincinnati; and Rev. Prescott B. Smith, of Irville.
Rev. James Culbertson was the consecrated pastor of Zanesville First Presbyterian Church. He received a call to the largest Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, but declined, saying "his duty lay in Zanesville" and there he lived and served, 1811 to 1844, and died.
Of Rev. Mr. Root, of Cincinnati, we have been unable to learn anything.
First Pastor-Rev. Prescott B. Smith
Rev. Prescott B. Smith, the third member of the Presbyterial Commitee and noble Triumvirate, became our very first Pastor. He was a native of Vermont, was educated at Middlebury College, and ordained at Newark in 1818. He began preaching in 1818 soon after his ordination, lived in Irville. He so continued until his death in 1823, aged only twenty-nine.
Though only twenty-nine at his death, Rev. Prescott B. Smith was the Nestor of our Pastors. Some of our honored guests this evening are his grandchildren, viz., the family of the late Mr. Horace Smith, of Adams Mills, faithful, active members of the Adams Mills Presbyterian Church. His works do follow him and his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren are among us, a blessing today.
The Church records give the Charter members in the following order: Daniel Stillwell, Esq., Joseph F. Munro, John C. Stockton, Mrs Mary Smith, (wife of pastor), Mary Munro, (wife of J.F.), Mrs. Sophie Cass, (wife of G.W.), Mrs. Mary Cass, (wife of Major Jonathan), and Rev. Hildreth adds Major Jonathan Cass. As Mrs. Munro was the daughter of Major Jonathan Cass, and Rev. and Mrs. Hildreth made their home with Mrs. Munro, Mrs. Hildreth's mother, Rev. Hildreth's testimony is accurate.
Major Jonathan Cass was the great-grandfather of Mrs. J.W.P. Ried, Zanesville; Miss Mary Munro, Granville; Mrs. Rhoda Dunmead, Newark; Mrs. Minnie Dunmead, of the Old Munro Home; former members of the Dresden chruch and now active Presbyterians in their home towns, with one exception, and we welcome them to this Centennial reunion as we look in their faces.
Mrs. Sophie Cass, wife of George W. Cass, another Charter member, is represented in Dresden today by the widow of Dr. Edward Cass and their two sons, Dr. Edward McDowell Cass and George Cass, both soldiers in the Great War. Dr. Edward attained the title of his ancestor, "Major" overseas, and George, a non-Com on this side.
Daniel Stillwell, Esq., was great-grandfather to the Scott families, of Adams Mills, as well as to the Horace Smith families, and wonder of wonders, Hamilton Scott's daughter, great-great-grandaughter, is present tonight helping us to celebrate and to keep the ideas of Daniel Stillwell, Esq., in the Church active. The Scotts are also grandchildren of another of our Charter members, John C. Stockton. John F. Munro, the very first elder of this Church, and his wife, Mary G. Munro, both Charter members, were also represented by here Mrs. Ried, Miss Munro and Mrs. R. Drunmead, her grandchildren. Was ever a church so blessed?
Think of it! The descendants of every single one of the Founders of this Church gathered together to help celebrate its Centennial, and all still faithful workers in the Presbyterian Church. We heartily welcome you all to this, our "Home-coming."
Second Pastor-Rev. James Parmele
Rev. James Parmele surely had a vision of the future of our Church, for he arranged to preach in the town of Dresden. He obtained the town log school house located where the Union School Building now stands, and there held his preaching services. Rev. Parmele had faith in the increase and prosperity of the town and the Church must needs be in the center of the town and grow with it. He remains only a little over a year.
Third Pastor-Rev. Ebenezer Churchill
Before the close of 1825 came the Rev. Ebenezer Churchill to care for our Zion. He ministered to the three Churches, Dresden, Adams Mills and Irville, where he lived, and gave each Church one-third of his time. He was a man of great energy, physically, mentally and spiritually. He frequently walked to his appointments, even all the way from Irville to Adams Mills, twelve miles.
The Church had then only one elder, Mr. Joseph F. Munro. There was always harmony in the session. At the suggestion of Rev. Churchill two more were added viz., Daniel Stillwell and John C. Stockton, by the choice of the congregation and session. Rev. Churchill labored with the Chruch from 1825 to 1829. During his pastorate there were received into the Church (1829) by examination, Mr. Gilbert Shaw, and Phoebe, the wife of William F. Compton, of Dresden. Received also, by letter, George Smith and his wife Polly. He also received into the Church by Baptism, three infants, viz., Henry Munro, son of J.F. and Mary G. Munro; Mary Selden, daughter of G.W. and Sophie Cass; and Samuel Shaw, son of Gilbert and Phoebe Shaw.
Fourth Pastor-Rev. John Pitkin
Very soon after the departure of Rev. Churchill, Rev. John Pitkin began his labors with the Dresden Church. By this time the school house was brick and was built on the mound in what is now the Cemetery. That sounds strange, but then it was not "Gods Acre." That was then east of the canal bridge as you go down to Old Town. When the canal was dug the cemetery was removed to its present location and the school house was returned to its former and present situation.
Rev. Pitkin was a graduate of the Ohio University at Athens, (then under Presbyterian supervision). Mrs. Pitkin was a daughter of President Wilson of that University. For a while Rev. Pitkin lived in Irville. Very soon he came back to Dresden and built a house of his own. We are glad to know that house still stands. It was the former residence of Mrs. Michael Carter, was from Main Stree back to the alley and new house errected on the site where Mr. Joshua Stump now lives, and Rev. Pitkin's house is Mr. Stump's garage. Another Presbyterian minister lived in Rev. Pitkin's house, viz., Rev. William Wallace. He and his eldest son had the Dresden paper. His second son, James Wallace, was a musician and a jeweler, and he married Miss Amelia Ingalls, daughter of Major J.N. Ingalls, one of the ruling elder of our Church. Rev. Wallace has also a little daughter, Amelia, and a little son, Chalmers. Amelia later married Joames White, who was principle of the high school when the Stevenson brother, Thos. M. and Robert W., his successor, were superintendents. James White is now D. D., and their son is now a successful pastor in Ohio, both in the United Presbyterian Church. Rev. Wallace lived and died in Rev. Pitkin's house. It was a good house of seven rooms, five below and a center hall, and two above.
Mrs. Pitkin deserves special attention. She had ideals and carried them out. She organized the First Female Prayer Meeting in Dresden, which met at her home. Then she had a vison of the Church of the future and organized the First Sabbath School ever held in Dresden and conducted it regulary, every Sabbath, in her own home. She had no helpers at first. What ever did she do with the restless little ones? How did she teach the adults at the same time? The Female Prayer Meeting soon developed worker to assist her. From that Sabbath School in 1829 to 1919-these ninety years-the Presbyterian Chruch has kept up faithfully its Sabbath School, though started by a woman.
One outcome of Mrs. Pitkin's Sabbath School was that of Ainlab S. Armenia, gathered together by Mrs. Josephine Lemert Coffing and her husband, Rev. Jackson Coffing. It was then-1860-the largest Sabbath School in the world and numbered 1600. Mrs. Pitkin has had efficient, untiring successors as Sabbath School Superintendents ever since, down to the present incumbent, S.F. Spencer.
When Rev. Hilderth was pastor the Catechism and Bible verse were recited. Elmira Rambo led with 963 verses and the School recited 1496 texts, in one month. Miss Rambo later became a faithful teacher, and though unable to hear the sermon, was always in her place in Church, and said Dr. Macleod , an inspiration to him as pastor, faithful till called up higher. Today the Christian word studies the same lesson. Is not this an answer to Christ's prayer?-"That they may be one." Never before were so many adults in the Sabbath School, but we can only say, "all were faithful workers and we are thankful for them."
The Church was growing steadily. Rev. Pitkin so inspired the people that they began to talk of a Church Building. This culminated in a meeting of the Session at one o'clock, December 1, 1833. It was resolved "That a subscription paper be opened for the purpose of construction a Presbyterian Meeting House in the town of Dresden." Later, September 10, 1835, John C. Stockton, one of the ruling elders, was appointed to solicit and recieve donations for the Building of this "Meeting House."
In 1835 Rev. James Harrison took charge of the Church of Irville. Rev. Pitkin was still pastor in Dresden and that winter-1835-Rev. Harrions assisted him in a series of meetings. Many were added to this Church. In the spring of 1836 Rev. Pitkin had another revival. There are among those names that will interest some of you, viz., Laban Lemert and Lucy Ann, his wife; Mrs. Webb; Mrs Alloways; Mrs. Caroline Brice; Mrs. Catherine Wolf; Miss Julia Stockton; Frances B. Stockton; and Archibald Blackburn Brice, who later became D.D., the first Minister of the Gospel sent out from the Dresden Presbyterian Church. He studied at Meadville College and was some years ago the consecrated Pastor of the Nelsonville Presbyterian Church of Athens Presbytery.
An interesting Sessions Record occured April 27, 1833, which throw light upon the Presbytery to which we belonged. We quote: "On motion, Resolved, That this Session apply to the Lancaster Presbytery, in this State, for a continuance of the yearly sum, heretofore allowed, to the Rev. John Pitkin by the Assembly Board of Missions; his places of preaching to be designated as Dresden, Muskingum, Stillwell and Wachatomaka Settlement." " Also, on motion, Resolved, That this Session apply to the Lancaster Presbytery for the ministeral labors of Rev. John Pitkin as 'Stated Supply' form that first of May, (this was April 27), for one year for half his time."(Church growing before we only had one-third)
Following this action was another revival and increase in membership. The Rev. Pitkin enthused the people to "rise up speedily and build." In May, 1836, the Building Committee for the Presbyterian Church of Dresden was appointed. God's House is so dear to us we would remember these names.
Building Committee for the Presbyterian Church of Dresden: Laban Lemert, George W. Cass, W.W. Brice, Thomsa M. Barson, and Dr. A.H. Brown.
The building was begun in 1836 and by the summer of 1837 it was finished with rough seats for temporary use. In the spring of 1838 it was completed, at a cost of $1,500, and God's people rejoiced.
Rev. Pitkin had resigned his pulpit in the late spring of 1836, after faithful, notable service of seven years. His departure was much regretted by all. Then the Church called one they already knew and loved for our Fifth Pastor.
Fifth Pastor-Rev. James Harrison
The same fall-1836-Rev. Harrison held a series of meetings, with many additions, amoung them who later became the second Gospel Minister sent out by the Dresden Church. He preached for some year in the Presbyterian Church and later in the Episcopal Church.
In 1842 the First Choir of Dresden was organized-a most important event. God wants the best music for his service. Rev. Harrison owned his own house, later the Dr. B.F. Lemert home, and there, under the leadership of a Mr. Stone and through his supervision, the music became of a very superior order and has so continued these seventy-six years, or ever since. Two public concerts were given by this Choir for Mr. Stone's benefit. Mr. Stone later taught music in the city of Wheeling W. VA.
Mr. William Armstrong, a master muscian of Cumberland Md., later trained the choir. We hear now the echoes of some of the voices of that choir; Mrs. Margaret Bailey, a sweet alto too early translated to the heavenly choir, who left children to take her place there and elsewhere later; Mrs. Wm. Armstrong*, saprano, all her life; Mrs. Amelia Ingalls Wallace; Mrs. Matlida Ingalls Cary; Messrs. James Wallace, Alfred Barson, and Patterson Hirst. Mr. Armstrong taught classes of the young people music. He was gentle, sweet-spirited man whom we all loved, and who was full of harmony. He was uncle to Miss Jennie Bailey and sisters, and Mrs. Margaret Bailey was their dear mother.
* note written in magrins of the pamplet, Mrs. Wm. Armstrong became Mrs. Wm. Leggett? Looks to be the hand of either D.M. Ogilvie or Adela Ruth Ogilvie(Ruth O. McCartney),
After Mr. Armstrong's death Mr. Patterson Hirst was choir leader. He also had singing schools which were popular. Mr. Hirst went to war and later became Harry Shore and Samuel Spencer. All praise and honor should be given to these fine leaders, past and present, and to our always most effiecent choir.
Rev. Harrison spent ten years of arduous labor here from 1836 to 1846. Mrs. Harrison was a very hospitable hostess and a good wife and mother. God blessed his work and now there were eighty-nine members enrolled.
Sixth Pastor-Rev. S.P. Hildreth
Rev. Hildreth began his minstry of nearly a quarter of a century soon after Rev. Harrison left. He, too, owned his own house; later John Alloway's home just across from the Church, where he lived unto it seemed neccessary to remove to the Munro home, to be with Mrs. Munro, Mrs. Hildreth's mother, four miles up the Muskingum. Through the winter's storms, high river and dark nights, Rev. Hildreth never failed to come down for the Wednesday evening prayer meeting and "the monthly Monday Concert of prayer for the Heathen, which will be held in this house on tomorrow evening." as he always gave the announcement on the first Sabbath of each month. There was a special collection taken these first Mondays for Missions, to which he always gave a greenback, after a topical lecture on the Month's Mission Field.
There are a variety of gifts. Paul, Peter and John each had their special talents. Today is is so, and it is well. Some are good pastors, visit the poor and needy and draw the outsider, are what is called a "good mixer." Others are wonderful expostors of God's Word and the hearer grow stronger, mentally and spiritually. Rev. Hildreth which is now forever banished. Three distilleries and their natural fruit-age of woe, then existed here. Vanished forever and also the one that sprang up later, to the joy of all good men and of many a good and suffering women. Thank God for war prohibition and may He make us sing the Halleluliah Chorus all over the land in November.
When God took Rev. Heldreth the town mourned. During his funeral the business houses of saint and sinner, large and small, were all closed. He sleeps here, with his loving and beloved people and will rise again among them.
In June, 1847, the First Sewing Society of Dresden was organized by Mrs. Maria Force of Hagerstown, Md., a devoted member of our Church. They owned the house opposite the M.E. Church, where Mr. Rambo afterwords built another and lived and where Mrs. Rambo, another elect lady. labored for the W.C.T.U., Church, Missions and Sabbath School, assited by "Mira," very faithfully. The purpose of Mrs. Force, in organizing this Sewing Society, was to raise funds to obtain a Church bell.
The movement was a great success. On Thanksgiving day the bell, weighing 600 pounds, was received from Cincinnati. July 4, 1850, was an auspicious day. The first Church bell of Dresden was rung. We don't know why they wait from November to July. Perhaps, because the women could not hang it. But they could prepare a big , fine dinner for town and give the proceeds for bell and Church ever given in Dresden. So this Presbyterian Church bell, July 4, 1850, sounded the gospel message, first rung in Dresden,"Come, Come, Come," and it has been calling "Come" ever since. It could be heard seven miles. Its tones are music to our ears and we used to imagine it call extended beyond the Mississippi and across the prairies. Five days later, July 9, 1850, this bell was tolled half a day in sorrow, from a telegram announcing the death of our Hero President, General Zachary Taylor, of the War of 1812, He died from over-exertion celebrating the 4th.
In 1848 there was a Commitee elected for the repairing of the Church, consisting of John N. Ingalls, Alfred Barson and Patterson Hirst. A new roof and a new front were added with four beautiful Corinthian columns. The ladies, too, were indefatigable and they sent to Philadelphia for a carpet and to New York for paper with the Corinthian columns. Then the new spire was seventy-five feet high and there were also new inside shutters as well as new windows. The cost amounted to $1,300 or nearly as much as the cost of the Church at first. The hearts of the people were in the work. It was said to be, then, the most tasteful Church in the Presbytery of Zanesville. A great revival followed this beautifying the House of God.
In 1852 the First Pipe Organ ever in Dresden was installed in our Church. We always had had fine music and good instruments, but now! We wondered if David's Choir "of singing men and singing women," which could be heard from Jerusalem to Jericho-twenty miles-was superior to ours.
This choir was trained and led by the spledid musician, William Armstrong, before mentioned, till he died. For a time the organist was Prof. Lihnethal (later of Zanesville). When he played his preludes, interludes and postludes, we forgot everything but-the Heavenly Harmony. Then Mr. James Wallace became organist. He went to Iowa. Other organist were John White Jr., and Miss Lizzie Gilbert-all good.
In 1880 the Church was again remodeled-new pews, floor, pulpit, windows. This treasure of ours was taken down and stored in the George Lemert and Johnson warehouse. The store and warehouse were about where Eschmans's Hall now is. A fire occurred and nearly the whole block went up in smoke, and with it our pipe organ. Cabinet organs and pianos did not satisfy us. Our sorrow at this loss was not assuaged until, through the good offices of our forever beloved pastor, Dr. Macleod, we replaced our pipe organ.
Good music is a great power and is a part of heaven's joys according to the Bible. We are thankful today for our good and faithful organists, Mrs. Spencer and Miss Mary Stump and our excellent choir which helps us all to worship better.
The Civil War came in '61-'65 and many of our people marched away following the country's calls, among them the choir leader, Patterson Hirst. There was also John Bainter, who never missed prayer meeting, and John Poorman, good soldiers. John Bainter gave his life at Murfreesboro. Some were prisoners; all shortened their days for their country. There were too many to enumerate. WE know of one veteran who wore the blud on the church rool, faithful to the flag and faithful to the Church-Thomas Ulrick. Dwight Kain, George Lemert and Dr. Dorsey passed away a few years ago. The anthem of the Civil War was written by women. Sweetly she said:
"In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With the glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me.
He died to make men holy-they died to make man free."
We'll never forget Julia Ward Howe.
Seventh Pastor-Rev. Charles Merwin
Rev. Charles Merwin became our seventh Pastor. He was a very scholarly gentleman and close student and good preacher. Mrs. Merwin was an able assistant. He remained only one year and then accepted a call to a larger field.
Eighth Pastor-Rev. W. F. Millikan
Rev. W.F. Millikan began his labors here in 1872. He was a very quiet, dignified, faithful minister. His services were greatly apprecaited. Mrs. Millikan was a fine linguist and a fine Greek scholar as well as Latin and English. She was also a botanist and well educated along different lines. She was a church worker too, though of feeble health. They labored faithrully for six years and then accepeted a call to Chili, New York.
Ninth Pastor- Rev. Adolph Lehman
In September, 1878, Rev. Adolph Lehman took charge of this Church. For nine years Rev. Lehman studied the best interest of this Church and community and the work of his hands and heart were abundantly blessed. Mrs. Lehman was a true helpmeet, though with manifold duties, with four stirring little people, to keep up with. There were Ray now M.D.,Mary Augusta, a Y.W. worker in New York City, Carl, attorney-at-law in Cincinnati, and Frank Scott, Captain Lehman of the Army. These are ours born here. We are proud of them. All of Rev. Lehman's sons and daughters are doing Christian work in their locations. Rev. and Mrs. Lehman have both been called up higher.
Tenth Pastor-Rev. James Deighton
One month after Rev. Lehman left, Rev. Deighton was called. He was very strong intellectually and very companionable. We remember a number of his sermons: "The Destructive Penknife." and "The Soldier's Dream" were two. As the family did not move here his was a short pastorate. A daughter, Miss Ada, came on a visit and remained and tought "Stony Point" school and boarded at Mrs. Jane Lane's. She proved to be a very bright and interesting girl. Then Mrs. Deighton, a lovely lady , came on a visit and all felt that she and a home would have been of great advantage to both pastor and people. Rev. Deighton accepted a call to Huntington, Ind., after two years service.
Eleventh Pastor-Rev. James Hickling
Rev. James Hickling was the successor of Rev. Deighton and they were as different as Moses and Aaron, though both were Englishmen. However, Rev. Hickling came over when quite young, was educated here and was thoroughly Americanized, as all who come should be. Rev. Hickling was a deeply spiritual man and a preacher of more than ordinary ability. He was also progressive and looked carefully after the best interests of town and Church. In Rev. Lehman's time we were connected with Adams Mills. Under Rev. Deighton we were united to the Muskingum Church. During Rev. Hickling's regime we bought the much need Manse.
Mrs Hickling was the consecrated assistant of the pastor. She was a faithful teacher in the Sabbath School and a zealous worker in the missionary and other societies of the Church. For five years they faithfully performed all the duties of their office. It was a great loss to town, and Church when they left us. In June, 1919, Rev. Hickling "passed through the gates into the city." Mrs. Hickling is indeed bereaved.
Twelfth Pastor-Rev. H.P. Barnes, D.D.
In March, 1896, Dr. Barnes came to us. Very soon their only son, Henry , was called above, leaving only Emily to comfort them. Eighteen years earlier, or when Rev. Millikan left here in March, 1878, Rev. Barnes had preached for this church all summer, and very acceptably. The Church desired his services but were too slow in saying so and when they did speak he had accepted a call elsewhere. When Rev. Hickling resigned in 1895 the labors of Dr. Barnes were secured in March, 1896. Mrs Barnes was abundant in good works and a faithful co-worker with her husband. They mourned tenderly with those who mourned and were very companionsable for the aged. Emily grew into womanhood among us-a favorite with all.
They ministered to this people in season and out of season and were greatly missed when they left in 1903. After serving various churches Dr. Barnes health failed, they went to Florida to recuperate in 1916, and there at St. Petersburgh, he was called to the "many mansions." He, too, sleeps among us, beside little Henry.
Dr. Barnes was a fine sermonizer and always helped the hearer. He was an optimist, as every Christian should be, a welcome visitor in the home, always leaving a more genial atmosphere. Mrs. Barnes resides with Emily-Mrs.Callum- her husband and their little son. God has set the solitary in the family.
Thirteenth Pastor-Rev. F.B. Shumaker
In the fall after the resignation of Dr. Barnes, September 6th, Rev. F.B. Shumaker took charge of this field, with his young wife. Their son, John Calvin, was the first child born in the Manse, and was consequently very dear to the congregation. It was with sorrowful tidings to us when he passed away. When Rev. Shumaker was ready and willing to go, after four years' stay, it seemed almost wrong to this congregation. God's blessing had rested upon his labors and those of Mrs. Shumaker. Her sweet voice lingers with us yet, and her gentle presence. But after a season of Church prosperity and blessing they went, regretted by all.
Fourteenth Pastor-Rev. Dr. D. W. Macleod
(April 12, 1908-November 30, 1912)
The following spring after Rev. Shumaker accepted another call, we were very fortunate in securing the services of Dr. and Mrs. Macleod. Mrs. Macleod seemed on of us, from the very beginning. Little Martha added greatly to the life of the manse, which was still the house of the people. The Sabbath School Teachers meetings were power with Dr. Macleod as leader. The Prayer Meetings were programs on which every member on the Church roll had a place at least once a year, thus insuring their presence-three or four on duty each meeting, to sing, recite, read a paper on Church history and heroes. One who serves is always more interested. Dr. Macleod gave us many doctrinal sermons, making deep things plain. This fed the flock and rejoiced the hearts of the thinkers. Again the Church was blessed with many new additions.
Little Martha was not long alone in the manse. Wee Christina and Donald Jr., came along to add to the joy of the home and the congregation. The children of our beloved pastors are our very own and we shall always keep in touch with them all, from the Lehmans, on and on.
But other fields were white to the harvest, and like our other pastors, Dr. Macleod thought he must go where he could reach the greatest numbers. Mrs. Macleod, besides all her family cares, was always ready for service, ministering to the sick, answering calls for aid and the many demands on heart and hands. After a short four and a half years they went to East Liverpool, where they are doing a wonderful work. Instead of murmuring we should be thankful for the blessings we received through these anointed ones and be willing to share with these others-(but we are not very).
Fifteenth Pastor-Rev. S.V. Bergen
(March 30, 1913-April 28, 1915)
Rev. Bergen came of a ministerial family. His father, Rev. S.L. Bergen, was at Frazeysburg at the same time, and his brother, Rev. H. Bergen, was at Dennison. Rev. Bergen took charge of this Church at the time of the flood of 1913. He endeared himself greatly to the working men by laboring with them , night and day, in those strenuous times, evincing through his labors, his kindly humanity, aiding them untiringly, all these days to save the lives and the property of the poor and the stranded. One working man remarked, when the worst was over, to a Presbyterian, "That preacher of yours is every inch a man; he never quits till we all quit." Mrs. Bergen assisted in the choir and did what she could, being an invalid. To them and to us, came another child to the manse. Rev. Bergen was a good sermonizer and full of energy. One sermon on "John Huss, the Martyr," was greatly appreciated by all. To Rev. Bergen we owe the Tabernacle and a great outpouring of the Holy Spirit, and an uplift to the whole community. Many were added to the various church "of such as shall be saved."
After two years service Rev. Bergen resigned. His last message to us was a sad one; "Our little William has passed to the Heavenly Father's care." This message came from a Y.M.C.A. Army Camp, where Rev. Bergen was serving God and his country.
Sixteenth Pastor-Rev. D.M. Ogilvie
(April 28, 1915-1934*)
It is a great blessing to a Church to have only a short interim between pastors. Piety is at a low ebb when the people are indifferent. Few Churches have been as fortunate in its pastors as the Dresden Presbyterian Church. We are thankful to God for our "Apostolic Succession."
For their eminent Christian character, their high intellectual agility, their great efficiency and the universal charm and grace of manner in all these pastors, and their wives have been elect, self-sacrificing ladies, who combined the spirit of Mary and the capability of Martha; and who the Lord has blessed us, and through our Church, advanced His own Kingdom these one hundred years. Truly, "Hitherto hath the Lord helped us."
We believe in long pastorates. We hope this one may round out a quarter of a century at least. Shall we review this Apostolic Succession to whom we owe so much, first adding our testimony to generous hospitality, the pleasant companionship and great efficiency of the present Mistress of the Manse? They, too have passed through the deep waters, their son Kaye dying for his country in the fields of France, just when we expected danger was over.
* date added to booklet by Adela Ruth Oglivie Mccartney (daughter of David M. and Barbara J. Ogilvie)
Review of Apostolic Succession
"Let we forget" we repeat these sixteen names:
First-Rev. Prescott B. Smith 1819-1823, four years
Second-Rev. James Parmele 1823-1824, one year
Third-Rev. Ebenezer Churchill 1825-1829, four years
Fouth-Rev. John Pitkin 1829-1846, seven years
Fifth-Rev. James Harrison 1836-1846, ten years
Sixth-Rev. Samuel Prescott Hildreth 1847-1870, twenty-three years
Seventh-Rev.Charles Merwin 1870-1871,one year
Eighth-Rev. W. F. Millikan 1872-1878, six years
Ninth-Rev. Adolph Lehman 1878-1887, nine years
Tenth-Rev. James Deighton 1887-1889, two years
Eleventh-Rev. James Hickling 1890-1895, five years
TwelfthRev. Dr. H.P. Barnes 1896-1903, seven years
Thirteenth-Rev. F.B. Shumaker 1903-1907, four years
Fourteenth-Rev. Dr. D. W. Macleod April, 1908, to Nov., 1912, four and a half years
Fifteenth-Rev. S.V. Bergen 1913-1915, two years
Sixteenth-Rev. D. M. Ogilvie, April, 1915, present Pastor. (retired in 1934)
Ministers Going out from this Church
Rev. Dr. Archibald B. Brice
Rev. Nathaniel C. Charlott
This Church has also grandchildren in the ministry, viz.,
Rev. John White, U.P. Church at Cedarville, Ohio, son of Rev. James White,D.D., and Amelia Wallace White
Rev. G.L. Hayes Beeman, son of Rev. Henry Beeman, at Wooster, Ohio.
Our Foreign Missionaries
Mrs. Josephine Lemert Coffing, sailed with her husband to Aintab, Armenia in 1857. Rev. Jackson Coffing was assassinated while on a missionary journey to Tarsus in 1862, at the place where Alexander the Great fought the Battle of Issus. A less brave and consecrated woman would have resigned and returned home, but she remained in the work for nearly fifty years and expressed to me her regret that she did not stay and finish her course in that land.
Then, five years ago this month, Roy Lanning, the son of Elder J.W. Lanning, sailed for China. Roy's mother had an uncle, Rev. Green, and an aunt, Mrs. Rev. Dodge, also missionaries in China, before him. Missions in the blood. We are glad to have our own missionary.
We have always had many faithful Home Missionary worker. The Home work appeals to the heart and the hand and eye much easier than the Foreign work. Therefore the consecrated workers for Home Missions have always been the majority and every society organized in this Church has been both Home and Foreign Missions. The Society that gave the largest sums ever received in this Church was "The Mercy Drops," organized by Mrs. Josephine Lemert Coffing: a Home and Foreign Missionary Society. It was a young ladies socieity. They gave more than any Church in the Presbytery for a time. It used to be the event of the year. For months these girls worked for the Christmas Bazzar and their sales were greatest in results. I know of only one member still in town, Miss Jennie Bailey. There were later faithful workers, some were called home, but their successors are with us.
One stands out prominently-Mrs. H.G.O. Cary. She was a daughter of still another Elder of this Church, Mr. John N. Ingalls; as Mrs. Coffing was of Elder Laban Lemert. Mrs. Cary organized the Zanesville Home and Foreign Presbyterial Missionary Society. She went over these counties,-Knox, Licking, Coshocton, Perry and Muskingum-over hills, through the cities and towns, stirring up the women who were wise and willing-hearted, and was successful. Then for seventeen years served as President, and President Emeritus till death. We are glad this Church has the honor of her noble life.
One of the members of this Church, Mr. George Bowers, who died in 1863, age eighty, served the other World War, (like our boys today), six years under the great Napoleon.
Another of our members, Mrs. Cynthia Hirst, had been a subject of George III, but was descended from Susannah White, who came over in the Mayflower, and her son, Peregrine White, who was the first child born in the Plymouth Colony. Mrs. Hirst's father and uncles served in the Revolution under General Stark.
Others of this Church have ancestors who wore the "Sword of Bunker Hill" and all the Revolution; but the Mayflower! but that we can go back to the beginning of the nation-is glorious! "The breaking waves dashed high." Their reverberation echoes down the ages. We can almost hear them.
" Amid the storm they sang, the stars heard and the sea, and why not we?
And the sounding aisles of the deep woods sang to the anthem of the free.
Aye, call it holy ground-the soil where first they trod,
And they left unstained what there they found-freedom to worship God."
The period of the World War is like a panaorama spread before us. It was the Mayflower spirit moving our people to help those nations have freedom to worship God. Four million eight hundred thousand enlisted in this cause. Our boys, from Church and Sabbath School, were overseas, as officers and privates. Some are home, some still serving. Some sleep in where poppies grow, on Flanders field, among them Kaye Ogilvie, our pastor's beloved son.. We are proud of all and can never forget their brave deeds. "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori."
Our Civil War Veterans who wore the blue, and these our boys in Khaki, are enshrined in our hearts forever. The anthem of the World War is our own Henry Van Dyke's "Home Again, Home Again, America for Me and the Flag of Many Stars."
Perhaps it is well to add the names of the Ruling Elders, Coadjustors of the Pastor:
1819-Joseph F. Muro
1829- Daniel Stillwell
1829-John C. Stockton
1840-John N. Ingalls
1843-Thomas M. Barron
1851- Thomas Franks
1861- William Senior
1894- William Green
1894- T.J. Comer
1898-J. Morton Black
1898-C. W. Stevenson
1917- Robert Mortland
The present session-1919- are:
J.W. Lanning, Clerk
This Church began by Revolutionary Veterans and Soldiers of the War of 1812, passed through the Mexican War, Civil War, War with Spain, and finally the World War, and her members followed the Flag to Victory as patriots should, but we hope we shall learn war no more and Jehovah Shalom the Lord our Peace, shall smile upon us continually. Truly "hitherto the Lord that helped us," and we have the promise, "Lo, I am with you alway."
First Things in Dresden
First Church organization, 1819, Presbyterian
First Sabbath School, 1829, Presbyterian, Mrs. Pitkin
First Female Prayer Meeting, 1829, Mrs. Pitkin
First Subscription Paper for Church Buidling, December, 1833, Presbyterian
First Choir organized, 1842, Presbyterian
First Sewing Society organized, 1847, Presbyterian, Mrs. Maria Force
First Chruch Bell, 1850, Presbyterian
First Public Dinner, July 4, 1850, Presbyterian
First Postmaster given in History Muskingum County, Laban Lemert, Presbyterian
First Child born in Dresden, B.F. Lemert, M.D., son of Laban Lemert, Presbyterian
First Child of Mayflower Pilgrims born in America, Peregrine White, ancestor of Patterson Hirst, Presbyterian
All these first things in Presbyterian Records. It is grand that this Church not only goes back to 1819, but to the Mayflower, 1620.
Addendum (author unknown)
The celebration of the 100th Anniversary of the Presbyterian Church of Dresden has been the hearts of the people for some months, which finally, culminated in a Congregation Meeting. The various committees were arranged for the assigned and the time set and "Our Centennial began" the week's service, Sabbath, September 28th, very fittingly with the celebration of the Lord's Supper, and the Text-1 Samuel 7, 12, "Hitherto Hath the Lord Helped Us"-which, ignorant of the Pastor's text, the Historian has also chosen.
The program for the week was most interesting and was planned by our most efficient Pastor, Rev. D. M Ogilvie and his able Coadjutors, J.W. Lanning, W.W. Shore, C.W. Stevenson, Hugh Adams and Robert Mortland. These, with their wives and Mr. Lanning's daughter, Miss Lettie, were also the Reception Committee to welcome the Home-coming guests.
On Monday, September 29th, the Choir gave a splendid Concert under the leadership of Messrs. S. Spencer and Harry Shore.
Tuesday, September 30th, P.M. Rev. F.B. Shumaker, a former Pastor, of Jeanette Pa., who had preached his farewell sermon, September 30, 1907, preached from Deut. 3, 4-7; "One hundred years old and the the eye not dim nor his natural force abated."
On Wednesday, October 1st, "The Presbyterian Family-Homecoming Dinner" was served to over three hundred guests. A word of commendation must be said. Never was a more capable committee appointed and as the whole Church could not be named, the Pastor announced that any lady who would assist would be very welcome. Many ladies not mentioned on the Committee came forward and served faithfully throughout the occasion. Such were the wise and willing-hearted Presbyterian women rendering the highest type of service. Mrs. J.J. Horn was the Chairman of this efficient Committee. Menu and service were fine and carried out like clockwork.
After the dinner came the speeches, the Pastor, Rev. D.M. Ogilvie, acting Toastmaster. Rev. Kenneth McLeod, H.J. Shore, J.W. Lanning, Mrs. R.B Longstreth and Rev. F.B. Shumaker were called upon. Rev. Shumaker remarked in his response, that he had "attended other Centennials, and this one was the best planned and best carried out of them all." Rev. Ogilvie then read the Regrets from the four points of the compass, getting the best of them all. Mrs. F.B. Shumaker, by request, sang a beautiful solo.
Then came the Church History of the One Hundred Years, by Mrs. T. M. Stevenson. Mrs. Stevenson endeavored to gather the laborers of the past, and their labors, the Ministerial Committee sent by the Presbyter of Lancaster (Ohio), to assist the little band of eight persons to organize the Dresden Presbyterian Church-three ministers, four men and four women, their names, and a brief biography of each.
Strange to relate, in the audience were grandchildren, of every Charter member or founder, and great-grandchildren of most and at least one great-great-grandaughter, and all these still faithful active members of the Presbyterian Church. Surly a wonderful record after on hundred years!
The Historian also gave the Apostolic Succession of the sixteen Pastors, beginning with Rev, Prescott B. Smith, 1819, and closing with Rev. D.M. Ogilvie, 1919. She also named the Elders and date of ordination down to the present Session. Then the Missionaries: Mrs. Josephine Lemert Coffing, nearly fifty years in Armenia, and Roy Lanning, now for five years in China; the former, daughter of Laban Lemert, a former Elder, and Roy, son of J.W. Lanning, now an Elder. Then as our Representatives for Home Missions; Mrs. H.G.O. Cary, daughter of another Elder, John N. Ingalls.
Mrs. Cary organized the Zanesville Presbyterial Home and Foreign Missionary Society. She visited the Churches of Muskingum, Licking, Coshocton, Knox and Perry Counties, stirring up the Presbyterian women of all. Then for seventeen years served as President and as President Emeritus the rest of her life. She and Mrs. Coffing organized the Dresden Home and Foreign Missionary Society, which still exists, with Mrs. C.S. Frazier as President. We have had many, many faithful workers.
Mrs. Coffing also organized the "Mercy Drop" a Home and Foreign Missionary Society-a young ladies society-who raised more for missions than any society we ever had, and who at one time, gave more than any other society in this large Presbytery.
Mrs. T.M. Stevenson, of this Church, served for seventeen years as the President of the Athens Presbyterial Home and Foreign Missionary Society and two year as President of the Zanesville Presbyterial Home and Foreign Missionary Society.*
* notion in pamphlet Still a Vice President ( unsure of handwriting)
Then there was Mrs. F.W. Gorche who, besides organizing the C.E. Society, was President of the Auxiliary Missionary Society, a Sabbath School teacher and President of the W.C.T.U. Society. Our ladies never confined themselves to their own Church activities. Mrs. Mittie Cresap Senior hand the Junior Mission Band. Today Miss Mary Stump leads the Union Endeavor. Some of these workers have gone to their reward. We love and appreciate them and can never forget them and the blessing their lives have been. His work goes on and gathers strength from their example. For years Mrs. Alex Pruson was Auxiliary President.
Another activity of Christians which is sometimes forgotten was ministering to the Black Man. There was a transportation called the "Underground Railroad." It took a strong, kindly heart to open the doors to the black brother seeking the North Star. Mr. and Mrs. Pruson, Alex. Pierson and Rev. S.P. Hildreth had that heart and hand.
Truly hitherto hath the Lord helped us and will be with us always. This fortunate Church has grandchildren of its members in the ministry; Rev. Hayes Beeman, of Wooster, and Rev. John White, of the U.P. Church at Cedarville, Ohio; the former son of the late Rev. Henry Beeman, of New Lexington, and the latter of Rev. James White and Mrs. Amelia Wallace White, God hath not dealt so with any people.
On Thursday Evening October 2, Rev. Dr. D.W. McLeod, of East Liverpool, also a former pastor, preached upon the "Glorious Gospel." This was a unique service. H.J. Shore, for twenty years or more leader of the choir, invited all former choir singers-visitors- to take their old places. The choir was full to overflowing and and they added their voices with joy to the singers of the present choir, and Harry Shore wielded the baton with his old-time zest, and Rev. Dr. MacLeod preached in his happiest style.
On Friday Evening October 3, Rev. J.A. Speer, of Coshocton, gave a stirring sermon on the "New Era."
On Sabbath Rev. D.M. Ogilvie, our Pastor, finished this delightful and eventful Centennial Week with a wonderful plea for the future, from Joshua 1, 2: " Moses, my servant, is dead. Arise now, therefore, and go over Jordan."