28 November 2011

The Lemert Family

The ancestors of this family were probably from Alsace, Germany, and settled in Pennsylvania about the year 1760, afterwards my grandfather migrated to Loudoun county, Virginia, where he died about 1780. His wife died in Coshocton county, Ohio, early in the present century. Lewis Lemert, the grandfather, was born in Pennsylvania, accompanied his father to Loudoun county, Virginia, afterwards settled and married in Fauquier county, Virginia, to Elizabeth Glasscock. They raised six sons and one daughter. Lewis Lemert died in 1817. His widow and family came to Dresden, Muskingum county, Ohio, in the autumn of the same year, and I think, raised the first house in Dresden. The names of the sons were Thaddeus, Laban, Beverly, Leroy, Ferdinand, and Abner. The latter the only one surviving. The daughter's name, Minerva. The widow and younger children removed to Licking county, Perry township, where they owned a considerable body of land, and laid out the village to which she affixed her own name (Elizabeth). She erected a meetinghouse at her own expense, dedicated to the use of the Disciples, of which she became an active and zealous member. She manifested a great amount of energy and business tact, and filled well her part in pioneer life, and died in August, 1834, in the fifty-seventh year of her age. Thaddeus died in Dresden, in 1820.

21 November 2011

Joseph Shaw

Manufacturer: born Newburgh, N. Y., 1840; son of Joseph and Mary (Williams) Shaw; educated in Putnam Academy, Zanesville, Ohio; married, Dresden, Ohio, Oct. 1881, Amanda A. Marshall; seven children. Engaged as pharmacist 1869-1881; assisted in organizing The Citizens' National Bank and its successor old Citizens' National Bank, of which he is vice-president, Muskingum Coffin Co., of which he is president. The Shaw & Welty Shirt Co., snd the Hercules Pants Co., president of both; president The Elgin Silver Plate Co.. Gold Hill Mining Milling & Power Co., organizer of both; vicepresident Guardian Trust Co., organizer; and director and organizer Homestone Building & Loan Co.; was president of Municipal Board of Sinking Fund Trustees, organization, until 1909. Served in 3d and 62d Ohio Voluntear Infantrv, during Civil War, started as private, and mustered out as captain. Republican; Presbyterian. Member Grand Army of Republic (commander). Club: Zane. Address: 328 Woodlawn Avenue, Zanesville.

Source: page 774 of Who's Who in Finance, Banking and Insurance, Volume 1, edited by John William Leonard, published by Who's who in finance, incorporated., 1911.

14 November 2011

Carl Lehmann

Carl Lehmann is a lawyer of the younger generation of Cincinnati, influentially identified with the civic administration of his resident village of Glendale. He is a native of Dresden, Ohio, born January 4, 1884, and as a youth attended the public schools of that place. Subsequently, be went to Colorado Springs, Colo., where he pursued a course at Cutler Academy, then returning to Ohio, where he attended the University of Wooster and was graduated with the class of 1907, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy. His law studies were prosecuted at the Cincinnati Law School, where he was a member of the graduating class of 1910, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, and upon being admitted to the bar in the same year began practice with Pogue & Pogue. Mr. Lehmann maintained his relation with this concern until November 1, 1916, since which time he has been engaged independently in the practice of his profession as a general practitioner. His offices are located on the sixteenth floor of the Union Trust Building. Mr. Lehmann is a member of the Hamilton County Bar Association and of the college fraternities of Phi Delta Phi and Phi Gamma Delta. He likewise belongs to the Masonic order and the Business Men's and Blaine clubs. For several years he has acted as solicitor for the village of Glendale, where he maintains his home.

Source: Memoirs of the Miami Valley, Vol. 3 by John Calvin Hooper and Joseph Daniel Barnes, Robert O. Law company, 1920, page 30

07 November 2011

Nathan H. Webb

NATHAN H. WEBB was elected on the Republican ticket in 1893 to his present position as Justice of the Peace of Jackson Township, Hardin County. He has made his home in the village of Forest for several years, but he is well known, not only hereabouts, but in various portions of the state, as a hotel-keeper of some thirty years' standing. He has been retired from this business only for the past five years, since which time he has devoted himself more than ever to politics and public affairs.