The ancestors of this family were probably from Alsace, Germany, and settled in Pennsylvania about the year 1760, afterwards my grandfather migrated to Loudoun county, Virginia, where he died about 1780. His wife died in Coshocton county, Ohio, early in the present century. Lewis Lemert, the grandfather, was born in Pennsylvania, accompanied his father to Loudoun county, Virginia, afterwards settled and married in Fauquier county, Virginia, to Elizabeth Glasscock. They raised six sons and one daughter. Lewis Lemert died in 1817. His widow and family came to Dresden, Muskingum county, Ohio, in the autumn of the same year, and I think, raised the first house in Dresden. The names of the sons were Thaddeus, Laban, Beverly, Leroy, Ferdinand, and Abner. The latter the only one surviving. The daughter's name, Minerva. The widow and younger children removed to Licking county, Perry township, where they owned a considerable body of land, and laid out the village to which she affixed her own name (Elizabeth). She erected a meetinghouse at her own expense, dedicated to the use of the Disciples, of which she became an active and zealous member. She manifested a great amount of energy and business tact, and filled well her part in pioneer life, and died in August, 1834, in the fifty-seventh year of her age. Thaddeus died in Dresden, in 1820.
Laban was largely identified in the early history of Dresden, in building it up and giving it material prosperity. He was twice married and his children and grandchildren are actively engaged in business at the present time. Beverly settled in Jackson township, Muskingum county, having three daughters and four sons, three of whom perished in the army. Ferdinand married a daughter of Jonathan Cass, a niece of Lewis Cass, and died leaving two sons, one of whom was killed at the battle of Arkansas Post; George, the older brother, served as captain in an Ohio regiment through the war, and is now living in Kansas. Colonel Leroy Lemert owned and cleared up the farm adjoining Elizabethtown, in this county, a part of which is now occupied by the writer. He sold goods in the village and lived on the farm quite a number of years, was commissioner of the county, and was a candidate on the Whig ticket in 1849, against Colonel Alward, his successful competitor on the Democratic side.
He was an active and energetic business man, strongly interested himself in schools and public improvements, and the general well-being of the society in which he lived, gave liberally of his means for religious purposes, especially for the building up and establishing the organization of Disciples of this place. He was an ardent politician of the Henry Clay school of politics. He left five children—-two daughters and three sons: The writer married in 1853, Dr. McCann; Amanda E. married Judge William Beckham, of Napoleon, Ohio, and died in 1871; Henry C. resides on a farm adjoining Napoleon; Beverly W., after serving as captain of company A, in Seventy-sixth regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, removed to Kansas, where he is now practicing law; George L. was discharged from the army an invalid; he married, but died in 1872, leaving a widow and four children; Abner resided in this county until 1854, living on a farm one mile north of Elizabethtown, and preached considerably for the Disciple church for a number of congregations. He was exceedingly zealous in the cause, and untiring in his energy to the promulgation of the distinguishing tenets of the church.
He was an earnest advocate, for prohibition of the sale of intoxicating liquors. His earnest efforts in behalf of temperance had much to do in fostering a public sentiment against the selling of liquors in our village, to make it uncomfortably warm for any person to make the attempt. In 1854 he moved to Henry county, Ohio, where he purchased a section of land in the woods, where he exhibited his indomitable energy in clearing it up, and draining it, making a very fine farm which he sold a few years ago; and following his pioneer instincts, he removed to southwestern Kansas, where he has been carrying on farming to a considerable extent. Minerva married William S. Brown, and lived in the old homestead in the village, and possessed the strong traits of character of her mother. Her useful and benevolent life commanded the love and esteem of all who knew her. She died in 1864, leaving a son and daughter. The son died soon after he came out of the army. Fanny married J. P. Seward, and lives in the old brick house built and occupied by her grandmother. Twelve of the grandsons enlisted in the army, seven of whom gave their lives for the maintenance of the Union.
-Contributed by Elizabeth A. McCann.
Source: History of Licking County, Ohio by Albert Adams Graham, published by A. A. Graham, 1881, page 821.